Webmasters make money from your site here

Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Free Trials

Another great “try before you buy” option is a free trial. However you usually need a major credit card to participate and many of these “trials” can be deceptive. Make sure you understand the length of the trial and the terms. Sometimes you need to pay the return postage or notify the company in writing if you want to end the trial.

I signed up to MovieShack on a 2-week free trial which was great. I got three DVDs at a time to view at my leisure -- no late fees or return date. When the trial finished I was scheduled to be signed up for the $39.95 monthly rate (middle-level) which would be charged directly to my credit card. I read the fine print and change my membership to the $29.95 level one day before the free trial ended.

I am still a member of that website and enjoy watching lots of DVDs each week. I even did a 2-week free trial with Fatso (MovieShack’s competitor). I ended my Fatso membership when the free trial finished and therefore got 2-weeks of DVD rentals (about 6) for nothing.

I even signed up for a free one-year membership of an American Express card in order to get the bonus AA reward points. I made sure I cancelled the card before the year was up so I didn’t have to pay the annual membership fee.

Other free trials I have participated in were magazine subscriptions, book clubs, DVD collections, and informational card series. If I found I wasn’t interested or couldn’t afford the cost of these products I would simply cancel my membership and usually keep the free incentive gift.

Many software programs are available for a free trial as well. Sometimes you download a sample program with limited abilities and sometimes you receive a disk in the mail which you can use for a certain number of days. This is a great way to find out if the program is the right one for you. Many electronic games also come with free trials or demos to entice you to buy more.

If you are not sure the product is right for you then ask for a free trial. Many companies are so confident that you will love their product that they offer a free trial or money-back guarantee. Just be sure you understand the terms before agreeing to the trial!