Webmasters make money from your site here

Saturday, 7 July 2007

Buyer Beware

I’ve been using the FindSomeone online dating service since February. This site has two membership options: Gold and Basic. As a Basic member you have free access to most features however you can not send the first message, so you have to wait for a Gold Member to contact you.

I decided to upgrade to the Gold Membership for one month as there were a couple of men I wanted to chat with. At the end of the month I ended my Gold membership as I could not afford to carry on since I now have car repairs to pay for (see my earlier post).

I thought that I would go back to being a Basic (free) member. So imagine my surprise two days ago when I attempted to respond to some smiles and messages I had received and the following screen appeared on my computer.


The only option I was given was to “choose a plan” and pay more money. I thought this must be some kind of glitch in the program as I just wanted to continue as a free member, like I had been a month before. So I sent a message to the website help desk via their contact page.

A day later I received an email saying “Please note that the Basic status is only available to new members who have not used the site before and who want to have a look around before upgrading to a Gold membership. As you have already become a Gold member this Basic status is no longer available.”

The email ended with this statement “I apologise if this wasn't made clearer on the site when you first entered into the subscription system.” Not only was it not clear, it was not even mentioned when I upgraded to Gold. In fact, as I recall when I became a Gold member there was a notice that said I could change my subscription at any time using the Options feature.

This seems like a scam to me as my profile still exists, so people can view my profile but I cannot respond. I’ve only got two options now – either pay for the Gold Membership which I cannot afford or cancel my membership altogether. Since I cannot use any of the features to communicate with others what is the point of being on their site any longer.

So if you have sent me a smile or message lately, don’t think I am being rude and ignoring you . . . I am unable to respond. I guess I am just destined Not to Find Someone!